Saturday, March 21, 2009

Offshore Safety.... is ANYONE listening?


My opinion to offshore safety?

Well, for starters... everyone who works offshore is made to sign a confidentiality agreement with their company. NOTHING is to be said. If word gets out that there is a problem... with ANYTHING... as Donald Trump would say: "YOU'RE FIRED!".

People are afraid of losing their jobs (and high payroll).... and so, people are afraid of the consequences for opening their mouths.

What have I got to lose? NOTHING. I've already lost pretty much everything I had after I left the offshore industry. I also lost my trust in them BEFORE I quit.

The problem I have, is if you open your mouth about safety, you're pretty much slapped in the face.

  • I have a problem with the survival suits (which are designed for MEN...and I could NEVER get a proper seal)...
  • I have a problem with the helicopters (which always seemed to be breaking down)..
  • I have a problem with people taking short cuts with safety TO GET THE JOB DONE.
  • I have a problem with some of the people who were "in command" who chose to ignore my safety issues.
  • I have a problem with the length of time in which you are made to work.... (12 hour days/3 weeks)
  • I have a problem with having to 'keep my mouth shut'.
I know this isn't the most appropriate time to let people know what I think, because of the horrific helicopter crash that claimed the lives of my friends last week.... but I just needed to get this much out. I've been known to be a little outspoken, but when it comes SAFETY.. I WILL NOT shut my mouth.

I had a supervisor once tell me "If you want to continue getting a cheque, then I'd advise you to keep your mouth shut, and do your work". NICE ONE.... bitch.

I am positive that I will have more rants in the near future... but for now... this is all that I can say. It's hard to type when you're seeing red.

Not that anyone is reading this... I still needed to say it.

Oh... by the way... this picture above is of an oil rig that I used to work on.

My favorite quote..... as quoted by: ME.

"I'd rather be poor and happy than to be rich and miserable".

Goodbye offshore industry... it's been an "experience" I'll NEVER forget.

1 comment: